In simple terms, self-defense, also known as private defense, is a method, which counters the action of the opponent as the means to protect someone from harm. In the global scenario, self-defense, which is subjected to varied interpretations, is a type of acceptable legal justifications to use force as the method to defend one’s self while there is imminent harm. Using this technique allows one to have the chance to avoid danger mainly when the attackers carry weapons, have accomplices or are bigger in size. Apart from that, self-defense can also offer one the desired mental and physical strength while helping a person to improve his/her balance, speed and endurance.
There are many other reasons why being aware of self-defense makes sense. Here are those:
- Self-defense improves co-ordination and physical fitness: In the self-defense program, the nonlocomotor, locomotor and manipulative movements develop gross and fine motor skills and this leads to a holistic improvement in physicality and fitness. As a result, the learner can benefit from improved strength, coordination, balance, agility, flexibility, reactive and bursting power, speed and cardio. And all of these help the learner to become confident and physically capable.
- Teaches discipline, respect and concentration: Self defense techniques are acknowledged widely for the ability to cultivate discipline, respect and concentration in the learners.
- Develops tenacity, assertiveness and determination: Mastering new techniques like self-defense needs tenacity, assertiveness and determination. So, here the learners need to try repeatedly, see others success, work through failure and make small improvements until they become completely successful. Besides, this skill also helps the learners to develop determination through drills that push them to success past the point of preconceived assumptions and limitations. So, with this training, the learners can realize that they can carry out anything they put their mind.
- Develops confidence: Self defense programs allow the learners to learn different types of skills regularly and here every new skill is more challenging from the previous one. So, developing these new skills results in developing pride and confidence in the learners.
- Teaches awareness of danger: With a good self-defense program, the learners are taught awareness of danger. Specifically, it is quite better to avoid problems than solving one. So, the learners are taught to be aware of things that could mean danger to stay safe.
- Develops enhanced physical power: The self-defense training program doesn’t only allow the mental strength of the learner, but this program helps to make the learner stronger both inside and out so that they can be prepared to face the real world dangers in a far better manner.
- Teaches anatomy, nutrition and hygiene: Self defense is a physical program, which encourages different movements. Therefore, it is simple to reinforce the reason to eat well to offer our bodies the necessary fuel for playing. Besides, with the right self-defense program, it is also possible to learn about hygiene like washing hands or cutting fingernails and anatomy like right and left body parts.